Today, I turn a quarter of a century old. Turning 25 marks the second half of the decade, and it’s bittersweet for me.
On one hand, my early 20s started on a pretty rocky path. I was right out of college figuring out my footing. I was heartbroken, I lost old friends, I was living by myself for the first time, and I was figuring out what I wanted to do with my career. I’m very happy those days are past me. I feel much more confident in myself in all aspects of life.
On the other, turning 25 marks the second half of my 20s, and there’s still so much I want to see, do, and learn. Before I turn 30, will I have time to do it all? Life has already flown by so quickly. In my head, I’m still 19.
They say as you get older, you become more confident, you find your people, you’re unapologetically you. I’m still waiting for that to be 100% true. In the meantime, I wanted to share 25 things I’ve learned along the way: random Evernote snippets, haphazardly-written Post-Its, sentences I’ve scribbled in diaries, and things I’ve noodled on for a while.
- Personal boundaries are a gift. It will take trial and error, but your health will thank you for it.
- Learn how to say “no”.
- Sunscreen is your very best friend. Use it liberally and reapply.
- Exercise is a long-term investment. Do it because you love yourself and your body, not for the purpose of changing it. Use the time to celebrate its abilities and be thankful for what it does to serve you.
- Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
- Learn how to dress your body. You end up buying less clothes and finding things that flatter you.
- Some friendships don’t last, and it’s okay.
- Just because my home is a mess, doesn’t mean I’m a mess.
- Turn off your notifications. Go enjoy yourself outside the screens!
- You are accountable for your own actions.
- The people I want to surround myself with are respectful, considerate, passionate, and pleasant to be around.
- Don’t overpromise anything.
- Take yourself out on a date! Browse the shops, read a book outside, eat your favorite meal—you deserve it.
- Learn how to read and understand contracts.
- Not everyone will like you. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can start living the way you intend.
- The most successful people I know learn how to save their money. And do their taxes properly.
- No one cares if you walk around with pimple stickers on your face.
- Drink more water.
- Hosting people? Have extra water, toothbrushes, towels, local treats for guests, and easy access to your WiFi password for guests.
- Lean into your gifts.
- Everyone perceives the same situation differently. Seek to understand first.
- Mornings are such a special time. Make the most out of them by doing what you need so it serves you.
- You don’t need to sleep next to your phone. It will be waiting for you.
- Learn to manage your stress before your body and mind feels the repercussions.
- Time with loved ones will never be enough. Spend more time with them over things that won’t matter in the future.